- Are links in place and do all of them lead visitors to the right landing page?
- Is your call to action clear and precise?
- Is the click through process ready to be tracked to the last stage?
- Is the timing of the email optimized?
- Is there a referral click and ‘send to friend’ link present?
- Is the unsubscribe option placed at a prominent place?
‘From’ field checklist
- Is ‘from’ address valid and is your return address set up?
- Does text seem like a spam word?
- Does the name of your brand appear in the ‘from’ field or subject line?
Subject line check list
- Is the subject line enticing? (Shorter the better)
- Is there personalization and to what degree is it present?
- Is it spam free and would you consider your subject line spam worthy?
- Do you have a plain text version, which is similar to the HTML version?
- Is the text spell checked? If yes, check it once again.
- Is the text edited? Minimum of 2 edits.
- Is there a P.S? It has been proven to increase efficiency
- Is the text simple to understand?
- Is there a balance between the text and the links? The ratios have to be more or less equal.
- Is the email CAN-SPAM compliant?
- Is your text easily up-loadable even with slow connections? Check for heavy multimedia files, you’re better off without them.
- Are images having clear alt texts so that text is visible even if the client has turned off images?
- Is the rendering optimized for various monitor resolutions?
- Is it ready to be read on hand held mobiles and tablets
- Are all the popular email clients and web browsers checked for rendering?
These are some of the most popular and essential checks you should never miss. If these are crossed out you have a strong email marketing campaign in hand.
Amy John is a marketing executive with over 12 years of experience in the execution of marketing and lead generation strategies. Currently, she heads the marketing department at Email Data Group, a renowned B2B database provider.